Healthy does not have to taste bad!

I know I am not the only one who likes to cook, but also eat good food. I am not just talking about food that is good for you, but food that makes you feel like you are doing something naughty when you indulge in the tastiness!
Well, what if I told you that you can have your cake and eat it too? It is all about being smart when you cook. I took one of our family favorites that I have been making for years and I thought outside of the box and put a healthy twist on it. It is all about knowing your portions and recognizing that how you season is just as important as how you choose your foods.  My husband and I really loved a dish that was served at one of our favorite restaurants. That was until they took the dish off of the menu. I was left to get creative and remember the flavors and recreate my own tasty creation. This version is DIVINE, however it also consists of a lot of foods that are okay to indulge on once in a while, but not all of the time. I decided to take it a step further and to once again reconstruct the recipe. This time I made it 21 Day Fix approved.
What seem like big changes, actually ended up enhancing the flavor in other ways and I didn't feel guilty about what I was eating. I used spaghetti squash instead of using pasta (although you can actually still use wheat/whole grain pasta, but I wanted to use my yellows else where and this was just as satisfying). I also did not bread my chicken, instead using grilled chicken breasts. For the sauce, I payed attention to my portioning. I did not add salt because the kalamata olives provided that.

Here is the recipe for my Mediterranean pasta:

Sauce
1 canned diced tomatoes (low sodium)
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon of basil
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon of dried chopped onions
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 can of quartered artichoke hearts 
1 c sauvignon blanc (full white wine)
10 halved kalamata olives

mix in a pot over medium for about a half an hour or until the sauce reduces and thickens up.

Spaghetti squash

  • cut in half and drizzle with olive oil
  • cover a cookie sheet with aluminium foil
  • place the halves cut side down
  • bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes
  • let cool for about 10 minutes
  • take a fork and string your spaghetti


Serve with grilled chicken or shake it up and serve it with meatballs.  We did both because we had leftover spaghetti squash and sauce!









Comments

Popular Posts